Saturday, July 5, 2008

Riding Elephants

"Are you going to Scarborough Fair?
Parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme..."

-Simon & Garfunkel


On my third birthday, my parent's brought me to the Booneville Fair (northern California) and my dad waited with me in line to ride the elephant. The next ride was ours.

Then the elephant handler called out, " That's it for today. No more rides!"

I was so close and it was my birthday. Imagine the disappointment.

Some people pass through a lifetime without riding an elephant, but not me! Today, I rode an elephant!

Steve and I were at the Renaissance Fair in Larkspur, CO with friends Beau and Story.



The historic moment: Steve and me on the Elephant. Four people ride at a time and we don't know the two in front. I would dare say that I was more excited about the elephant than the girl in front, after all, she had probably only been waiting 5 minutes to ride an elephant; I had waited 30 years!

I saved Steve from a dragon. Yes, that is a unicorn waving from the turret in the background.

A fairy.

Steve, Beau and Story in front of Pearl's Revenge, a pirate shop. Story came wearing the "pirate pending" t shirt. (Pirate due in August.)

Steve assured me I wouldn't be spit on.

I have no idea who these guys are, but they were having a blast pummeling each other on the log with pillow cases full of something or another. Fun picture, eh?

Beau and Steve tested their skills with the bow and arrow (Beau and arrow - Ha, ha!) and knife throwing.

Final note on the elephants: Story read somewhere that they are humanely treated, only work 33 weekends in the year (otherwise roam in a field), and are part of a breeding program to help repopulate their species.



No comments: