Tuesday, September 29, 2009

PBA - Pre Babies Adventures

In her 8th month, a pregnant woman is rubbed with oils, ornamented with henna and given gifts in a ceremony.
- SKhenna.com

It's the final countdown. The babies will be considered full-term (37 weeks) in just ten days. While I remain busy with sleeping, eating and preparing for the babies, I wanted to share a few recent adventures.


Happy Glider

We bought this glider chair at a yard sale for $20. It was white with powder blue cushions and stains from use. I think it's a lot more fun now.


Dyeing and Painting Baby Clothes

Layette for the babies. These clothes were purchased in bulk from Dharma Trading. My second round of experiments with with dyeing. I'm pretty happy with the results. Now I need to add designs.

The hat/onesie combo and the t shirt were custom designed for friends. It has been nice to work with people to get a better sense of what people like.


An Old Burlington, VT Friend Visits

A friend of ours, Marie - one of Steve's old Burlington roommates - took a crosscountry jaunt from Northampton, MA to the West Coast and stopped in for a couple of days on the journey home.

Marie had custody of our camera while hers was charging. She took this photo of the Flat Irons from Davidson Mesa in Louisville.


Henna Belly
In North Africa, in the eighth month of pregnancy, women are adorned with henna in celebration. This really is a wonderful tradition and I completely understand its power after experiencing it.

I got to pick an image that had significance for me - a wren and a raven - the two birdies in my babies' names. The artist, SarahKate Butterworth, then had me sit while she painted my belly, which is every bit as relaxing as a massage or some other form of pampering. I sat/layed back in a reclining chair for four hours to let the henna paste set, sleeping for most of it and realizing that I couldn't take care of any business and that was just OK.

Three days later, when the henna was at its peak, I went to SarahKate's for the photo shoot. I dressed up in satiny fabrics, tulle, and a beautiful skirts. I felt like a little girl playing dress up. Then I was photographed while being told the whole time how beautiful I am. What a wonderful way to finish out the final weeks of pregnancy!

By the way, I got my belly hennaed through SarahKate Butterworth's Blessed Belly art project, which you can read more about by clicking on the link.




3 comments:

Pen Umbra said...

Love the photos--You look like Gaia! And yes, you look beautiful, hennaed belly and all. Remember to spend the rest of your time resting--and be sure you're pampered.

Sending good energy your way.

Love and hugs to all,
Michelle

Anonymous said...

How amazing you look! What an amazing photo! You look like a goddess!!!

Deirdre said...

I still can't believe how cool that shot is-all of them in fact!