Saturday, June 21, 2008

Bicycles and lemonade

"Bi-cycle, bi-cycle, I want to ride my bi...cy...cle, I want to ride my bike"
-Queen

I got a bicycle! I got a bicycle! Happy summer! Happy Bike Month!

Steve and I got up at 6:30AM and went down to the annual Vintage Bike Sale that runs near the Farmer's Market. I wanted a cruisery bike - one that is visually fun - but also one that I would be willing to ride up a hill day after day on my commute to work. We arrived early enough that we got the pick of the litter!

A 1967 Schwinn Collegiate 10 speed in pristine condition that was hung upside down in someone's garage for about 40 years waiting to become my bicycle. Other people were eyeballing my bike and some were just genuinely complementing it and under their breath saying, "that's a sweet bike!" Steve also found a wheel for his 1960s Huffy.

I rode it home (about 4 miles). This bicycle makes me want to go the pretty, interesting, fun way and I found myself exploring and detouring through neighborhoods. When I arrived Steve made the discovery that a brake pad was slipping out. I've had some lemonade and now we're going to go in search of the parts we need to spend a sunny day on the bike paths of Boulder. And I'll be able to take advantage of Bike to Work Day in style next week.







1 comment:

Wiggy said...

AWESOME Bike ......
Happy Summer....
TT