Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Feeling the Holidays

His two eyes shone with lights and excitement. His four hooves looked ready to caper from branch to branch.
Kathryn Jackson, The Christmas Tree Lamb
in
Richard Scarry's The Animals' Merry Christmas, c.1972

The holidays are a feast for a child's imagination. There's one ornament on our tree that brings me right back to Christmas as a four-year-old girl: a ceramic folk Mexican pig. I decided to love it after the story The Christmas Tree Lamb was read to me. In this story, the little girl has a favorite ornament, a little lamb. As a little girl, I always insisted that it hang high on the tree, just like the lamb in the story. I bet you can't guess where it is on our tree today?

It's cold out, 22F as I write this blog, and flurries have been flying throughout the day with a possible 3 inches of snow by tomorrow. Winter is coming.

I love this time of year because everywhere I look, people surrender themselves to the magic, hope, and cheer of the season.

Here are some happy holiday images from me. Please send me yours within the next week and I'll post them. A virtual holiday celebration!

Picture from Richard Scarry's The Animals' Merry Christmas

My pig ornament.

Our tree.

Denver City and County Building, lit up on the sesquicentennial (150 years!)




No comments: