Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Mystic, Connecticut

Did you know that Beluga whales are called the Canaries of the Sea for their vocalization abilities?
-Mystic Aquarium website

As more time passes that we are not New Englanders, Steve and I find ourselves exploring our old haunts like outsiders. We are spending the holidays with Steve's family in Connecticut. We did a day trip to Mystic, CT, driving through the downtown, window shopping in Olde Mystic Village (a kitschy, touristy, but charming "Early American Village"), and passing most of our day with the marine life at the Mystic Aquarium.


Steve and Mary Ellen in Olde Mystic Village, near the duck pond


And the aquarium life . . . I wish I could give you better descriptions of what's in these pics, but my knowledge is uneven, at best. I just know they're pretty.


Sea urchins and starfish (I learned that the term starfish is inaccurate; they're sea stars)

Blowfish? Spiny fish? Barbed fish? Pokey fish? I forget. Cute smile, huh?

Lobster

Flirtatious fish. This guy (or lady) was enamored with Steve and enamored with the little girl that was there before Steve. His/her eyes gazed with great tenderness.

Beluga whale. Moments after I took this picture, this whale splashed water over the side of the tank onto me. She was given the "spit" command by her trainer. I only was a little wet, but definitely worried when I saw it coming since it was about 40F - a little chilly.

Fabulous lion fish, darling

Anemones and crabs. See anything else?

No comments: