Thursday, April 10, 2008

A Complaint Free World

If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude: don't complain.

-Maya Angelou

Andy Rooney is funny. And he's made a career out of complaining, but most of us aren't all that talented in the complaining department and certainly not funny when we complain (unless we don't realize that a piece of spinach is lodged in our teeth or something). Let's face it, too, we wouldn't really like Andy Rooney if he complained without his deadpan delivery and whit.

It bums me out when I complain. As if the first time you experience a "complaint-worthy" scenario isn't bad enough, but then you relive it by complaining. Brilliant, huh?!?

I had heard something about "no complaining" bracelets from Mom who saw it on one of the morning shows. This morning I saw a car with a bumper sticker for www.acomplaintfreeworld.org and decided to see if this was the source of the bracelets. It is. In an earlier post, I mentioned that after hitting my head and the ensuing neck injury, I realized that I only had so much energy and it needed to go toward things that helped me to feel better, not spinning my brain on what-if scenarios and negative thinking. Complaints seem to me to be another good purge.

It's unlikely that you will catch me in a purple "no complaining" bracelet any time soon, swapping it from wrist to wrist with each complaint, but expect less complaining.

No comments: