Friday, April 4, 2008

Doing Things Backward

"Brown Hippo bites two red cowboy boots. Do boots taste good?"
-Brown Hippo Doesn't Know
How to Wear Clothes

Brown Hippo was a children's book idea that came out of my work with a little boy who had zero success in school and didn't know how to read at the age of seven. When I worked with him I struggled to find books that were fun with interesting pictures and contained a minimal, simple words. Many of the books that we did end up reading would have turned me off to education for good, so I made my own.

It was one thing to write and illustrate a book, it is another to have the guts and gall to submit it to a publisher who receives 1,000 submissions per month. So we'll see. While the odds are stacked strongly against Brown Hippo, I foresee greatness and triumph.

And while I'm awaiting the news on Brown Hippo, I have decided to actually learn a bit of the craft of writing and illustrating and will be attending the Rocky Mountain Association of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators tomorrow, which means I should get to bed -8:00AM start with a drive.


And for those wanting more news of camels, this additional tidbit from my grandmother Elaine in Wenatchee, WA:

Something else you need to know about camels is, they SPIT.

You should check that out. See how far they can spit. It's pretty far. Pretty big splats, too.
Back in the 1950s when the Fort Bragg fishermen went up to fish out of Eureka, one of the things Eureka had was a little bitty one-camel zoo. Not a lot else. One of the fishermen from Fort Bragg loved that camel and went to see him every time he was in port. We went out, too, several times. He had told us to watch out for his spitting, so we never got splattered. I guess what was fun about that camel was that he was behind a fence sort of like a farm animal, and if you were bold enough you could try to pet him. Sometimes he was close enough, but his head was so high you couldn't ever scratch between his ears.

No comments: